Barney’s Matchbook Cover
September 22, 2016 – 12:07 am | 3 Comments

Locals know Barney’s Corner as a gas station, but early on it was much, much more.
I believe this matchbook cover comes from around the 1940s. Back then there was food and dance.
Barney was Keith Malcom’s brother …

Read the full story »
The Native Americans

The First Settlers

The Early 1900s

The 30s, 40s and 50s

To The Present

Home » Featured Photo, The Early 1900s

Fourth of July 1924

Submitted by on July 4, 2011 – 9:47 am16 Comments
Fourth of July 1924, outside Red and White

Fourth of July 1924, outside Red and White

Some things never change, like Eatonville’s love of a good Fourth of July parade. These shots were taken on Mashell Ave., around 1924 in front of the Red and White Store.

I like the advertisement of Tobys Comedians staring Toby Stutters. It also included a 5 piece orchestra. Quite an act.

On an ominous note, this particular picture was taken just weeks before an enormous fire would sweep through and almost take out the town.

Fourth of July 1924, Toby's Comedians

Fourth of July 1924, Toby's Comedians

Photos courtesy of Pat Van Eaton.

Click on photos to enlarge.

Dressed as Native Americans, Fourth of July 1924

Dressed as Native Americans, Fourth of July 1924

16 Comments »

• David Beane says:

I believe that the Red and White store in these pictures is not the same Building that Dawkins and Malcom ran in the ’50’s. The store is not at the same location. In fact I believe that the building in these pictures is on the opposite side of Mashell Ave. The ‘later’ Red & White,(now a parking lot next to Kirk’s Pharmacy) was on the corner of Mashell and Center, Center street being directly on the LEFT of the store. I still think the pictures are GREAT. Thanks Diane

• Diane says:

I’ll check, but I believe there was only one Red and White store. I think this photo has been flipped though.

• David Beane says:

Diane, If the pictures were flipped all the writing would be backwards. I wonder if this building burned down in that fire, and another store was built at the later location ??

• David Beane says:

After looking at most of Pat’s pictures, It appears that TC Van Eatons store became the Malcom/Dawkins red & white, or at least at that location. After reading the story about the fire, apparently no stores were lost in the fire, so that other building didn’t burn down then. Notice how the Mecantile Store banner looks like a temporary sign, I don’t know if that means anything, just an interesting obsevation.

• dimettler says:

Thanks for the clarification. Yeah, you wonder what was up. If only there was a time travel machine. 🙂

• dimettler says:

Oh yeah. You can see why I don’t have an engineering degree.

• Pat Van Eaton says:

I’ve studied these photos & have figured out where these building are located. One thing that is apparent Mashell Ave has been paved with concrete.

• dimettler says:

Where are they?

• Pat Van Eaton says:

I leftout the word not. I just can’t place them

• dimettler says:

By the way, thank you for all your help with these. I really appreciate it!!

• Pat Van Eaton says:

Hi I have figured out the location of these buildings by looking at picture #295 in Eatonville History. The Red & White building burned in the mid 1940’s. My dad purchased the empty lot & sold it the the Richfield Oil Co. They built a Richfield Service station on it. It’s now a auto repair shop. The key to solving the puzzle was the brick building on the far left of photo 295. It is now the Big Foot Tavern or the building next to it.The Parnell building took the place of the structures next to the Red & White. So the parade went from north to south & you’er looking at the west side of Mashell Ave. I’ve added that info to that photo.

• dimettler says:

Thank you so much for the clarification. For some reason in all the posts earlier I missed this one.

• David Beane says:

the statement I made about the store name looking temporary may not be so. I think it is just the lighting. After enlarging the pics, it appears that the name is painted on the building.

• Madison Miller says:

It’s so cool that I get to see what Alder used to look like before it was a lake!:)

• […] hay truck parked outside the Red and White store on Mashell Ave. in 1929 wasn’t an uncommon […]

Leave a comment!

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.

You can use these tags: