Moore’s Restaurant
January 18, 2019 – 12:23 am | One Comment

If you were around in the area in the 70s and 80s, then you are familiar with Moore family. The Moore Family Mountain Crafts in Ashford, Washington provided a place for a multitude of talented …

Read the full story »
The Native Americans

The First Settlers

The Early 1900s

The 30s, 40s and 50s

To The Present

Home » The Early 1900s

Willie Boettcher and Some Home Surgery

Submitted by on August 29, 2011 – 3:59 pm4 Comments

George & Willie Boettcher and a giant tree

George & Willie Boettcher and a giant tree

This story was told to me by Dr. Tom Van Eaton. I’ll try to do it justice.

Willie Boettcher was a woodsman. Like the rest of his family, he was used to big trees and bigger blades.

He lived in Alder and while he was out in his backyard one day, he slipped and fell on an ax. The blade was pointing upward and caught him in the stomach. It cut him wide open and — not to get too graphic — organs were spilling out.

There was no time to get to a hospital, but luckily his sister Minnie Boettcher knew what to do. She brought him inside the house, got boiling water going and spent the next hour and half cleaning the wound, and removing dirt and needles. Throughout it all, the wound kept bleeding, but Willie hung on. Once Minnie was finished, she stitched him up with a handful big stitches. Miraculously, Willie survived.

Doctor Tom says Willie couldn’t have gotten better treatment from a hospital at the time.

George & Willie Boettcher sitting inside an old growth tree

George & Willie Boettcher sitting inside an old growth tree

Minnie came from Germany, where medicine was fairly advanced — especially when it came to dealing with bacteria. German doctor, Robert Koch in 1882 had proved bacteria was the cause of many diseases. Germans quickly learned that cleaning wounds thoroughly could stave off infection. In Willie’s case, because the wound kept bleeding, it also helped clean the wound and reduced his risk of infection.

Even though Willie survived, he never went back in the woods. It was too dangerous. Instead, he opened a pool hall in Elbe.

Photos courtesy of Pat Van Eaton.

Click on images to enlarge.



Leave a comment!

Add your comment below, or trackback from your own site. You can also subscribe to these comments via RSS.

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.

You can use these tags:
<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

This is a Gravatar-enabled weblog. To get your own globally-recognized-avatar, please register at Gravatar.