Barney’s Matchbook Cover
September 22, 2016 – 12:07 am | 3 Comments

Locals know Barney’s Corner as a gas station, but early on it was much, much more.
I believe this matchbook cover comes from around the 1940s. Back then there was food and dance.
Barney was Keith Malcom’s brother …

Read the full story »
The Native Americans

The First Settlers

The Early 1900s

The 30s, 40s and 50s

To The Present

Home » To The Present

Glimpses of the Rock Festival (1970)

Submitted by on February 13, 2012 – 11:13 pm15 Comments
Folks in tents at the 1970 Buffalo Party Rock festval

Folks in tents at the 1970 Buffalo Party Rock festival

In the summer of 1970, hippies descended on Eatonville. It was heralded as the Buffalo Party Convention, but it was far from a political convention. It was a mini rock festival at Buffalo Don Murphy’s farm.

To read more on the rock festival, just click HERE.

Here are several shots of the event, in living color. You can spot the tents, the busses, the pond and the stunning Mount Rainier backdrop. What seems to be missing is the music.

Photos courtesy of Michael Lew at Sky River Lives.

Click in images to enlarge.

Buffalo Party - Mount Rainier in the distance (1970)

Buffalo Party - Mount Rainier in the distance (1970)

Rock Festival comes to Eatonville (1970). Don Murphy's field, Rainier in the background

15 Comments »

• melissa ka says:

did anyone know the man that fell to his death by the waterfall..does anyone know was their a woman with him when this happen back at this festival

• mike h says:

Over the decades, I almost forgot all about this cool festival. I was living in Tacoma at the time. Over the years following, I returned to where I was from, southeastern PA. But in 1978, I moved to Orlando, FL for the next 35 years. However, over the years I’ve returned to WA for vacations, primarily out on the Olympic Peninsula. Some day I,d like to revisit Eatonville, to relive some of those crazy memories. Now, I’m in the process of moving to Salinas, Ecuador, on the Southern Pacific Ocean.

• Having been born & raised in Tacoma,I was in my senior year at Stadium High School when my friends @ I descended upon Eatonville. Being local, this was one of the better small festivals. Between “stoners” falling off of the Water Falls, & stoning the Buffalo on LSD, this had a different feel than the larger festivals I attended later. There was plenty of nudity, & the abundance of & variety of psychedelics was unfathomable. My friends & I decided that LSD in conjunction with Peyote seemed to work the best for visuals. “FEVER TREE” was my favorite band, a real class act. Overall, I had really good time, good memories !

• dimettler says:

Hi there!

I’m currently working on a documentary about the festival. If you’re in the area, I would love to interview about the event! 🙂 Diane

• timber says:

Hi Diane. We road motorcycles to the festival from our commune in Central Oregon. Many many police and roadbloacks, batons and mace, but they finally left and allowed people in. Helicopters flying overhead dropping leaflets, so many psychedelics it was unreal (and was!) great memories to be sure. We’d been to previous in Sultan and Skyranch, but the Buffalo Party was tops.

• Linda says:

My mom and dad and me had a food truck there! It was the big white truck ! It was called the Chuck Wagon!

• Kurt V. Ebert says:

Considering its been 46 years since the “Buffalo Party”, my best recollection is only partial.I did meet one of my dearest & best friends there,& we remained friends until his accidental death in a car accident.Obviously being a Rock Festival, the drugs were plentiful,& the variety was amazing.Myself,I was partial to Psychedelics & spent the entire weekend sampling, so to speak.To me the highlight, as far as the music was concerned, was probably seeing “Fever Tree”. As it turned out it was the only time I was able to see them & they were one of the great San Francisco bands.I saw a lot of things that wouldn’t probably be appropriate for mentioning here, but I had one hell of a good time! Looking back, this was the best party of my Senior Year.What a send off for the Graduating Class of Tacoma’s Stadium High School! I’m sure that most of the people who attended this event, still have fond memories.After all, how many people have seen Buffalo stoned on Acid ?

• Daniel Deffries says:

I went with a couple of friends and met up with a few other couples. We went down to the creek, took off our clothes. The couples took some psychedelics and had food poisoning. The music highlight was James Cotton. I remember Scott McKenzie singing San Francisco (wear flowers in your hair) A lot of drugs, nudity. I have pictures

• Kristi Erickson says:

Hi Diane,
    My husbands brother went to the “festival” I will ask him if he wants to give you any information.

• Elizabeth says:

Question for those documenting this or who were there, I have a question. I have had 5 different people who have claimed to have been there that swear a band that was one of the “unlisted due to contracts” performers were The Pink Floyd. Pink Floyd shows no record of it on official appearances, but people swear they played there.
    Any truth to these stories?

Leave a comment!

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.

You can use these tags: