Pictured is the home built by T.C. Van Eaton in 1898, located on Rainier Street.
It was built after there were sawmills nearby for lumber and was the height of architecture in its day and the finest home for miles around.
It had eight room. Most of the cedar and scroll were were hand-planed by Lou Osborne. Mr. Van Eaton also freighted some boards, such as flooring, from Tacoma,
The dimension lumber came from Andrean’s mill at Muck Creek, and the foundation timbers from the Goe and Tomlin mill on the Little Mashell.
At the time it was the highest building in town and situated on a knoll. Originally there was a 110-foot well near the back door dug by Nate Williams with the assistance of Silas Barr, an Indian from Indian Henry’s village.
The small house next to is, toward Center Street, was built by Mr. Van Eaton for his mother, Mrs. Caroline Van Eaton, who lived there for five years in the early 1900s. (History of Southeastern Pierce County)
During the 2009 Eatonville Centennial there was a tour a tea at the home. You can read more about the home today in Dixie and Bob Walter’s article. Just click HERE.
Pictured are Left to Right: Kate Dutton, Nellie Van Eaton, Jennie Miller, Frank, Susie and John Van Eaton.