In 1904 a railroad was built in the busy town of Alder to haul logs and supplies.
An attractive train depot was built around the same time between the Milwaukee/Chicago/St. Paul/Tacoma Railroad (MILW) and Highway 7.
George Tatro was the depot agent and he and his family lived on the top floor.
An interesting note — George was blind, but could operate the telegraph and relied on his wife Laura to do the rest of the depot agent duties.
Also, Kathleen Boettcher, when she was a little girl, used to hang up the mail bag for the train for ten cents a trip.
Depot agents over the years included: Earl Pravitz Sr., George Tatro, Chas. Hughes, Ray Kennear, and Earl Pravitz Jr.
John Fraser was also in charge of the depot from the late 30s until the flooding of Alder lake.
Information taken from Old Alder by Joe Sander and Rod Scurlock, photos courtesy of Pat Van Eaton.
Click on images to enlarge.