In 1911, Dr. A. W. Bridge was concerned about keeping the logging community in one piece. He needed electricity to run his X-ray machines, and worked with the Eatonville Lumber Company to come up with a solution.
In November, he asked permission to “string wire from the mill to the drug store and hospital for the transmission of electricity for light and to operate X-ray machines.”
In February 1912 his request was granted. “Three lights could be dropped from wires owned by Dr. Bridge at a cost of $5.00 each ($110 today) and the Eatonville Lumber Company would supply electrictiy free of charge.”
Extra lights along Groe Street to Mashell Ave. would cost $45.00 more ($1,025 in today’s dollars). The town must have been anxious to move from kerosene lamps to electricity. Eatonville decided to install the street lights as well as one in front of the drug store. (History of Southeastern Pierce County)
Photo Courtesy of Haynes family.
Click on image to enlarge.