Recognize this home? It’s known by some as the Galbraith home and is still there today — near the Millpond Park. The home was built for John H. Galbraith in 1925 and was added to the National Register in 1982.
Mill President & Mayor
The Galbraith name was well known in Eatonville, especially in the early part of the 1900s. T. S. Galbraith was one of the owners of the Eatonville mill. And in 1922 you would have referred to J. H. Galbraith as Mayor.
T. S. Galbraith operated a saw mill and shingle mill in Tacoma, before it burned down. Around 1913, after operating the Eatonville mill for two years, he and E. J. McNeeley bought a controlling interest in the company and reorganized with E. J. McNeeley as president, T. S. Galbraith as VP and mangaer, S. L. Barnes as secretary and J. H. Glabraith, treasure.
In 1925 E. J. McNeeley sold his stock to T. S. Glabraith and in 1930 T.S. sold his stock to John H. Glabraith who then became president. It wasn’t until 1941 when J. H. Galbraith sold his interest in the mill. He moved to Gig Harbor. (History of Southeastern Pierce County.)
Photo courtesy of the Tacoma Public Library archives.
Click on image to enlarge.