Here are a few shots from the Nisqually dam taken in 1927.
This excerpt is taken from the book Upper Nisqually Valley:
“The flow that was to be used for power generation was divereted into a 1,3000 foot settling canal, which removed silt from the water. Then the water flowed into a tunnel that was more than 2 miles long.
The gatehouse allowed the settling cannel to be flushed of the built-up silt. The flow then entered a nearly 2-mile-long tunnel on the south side of the Nisqually River. The tunnel was from 10 to 12 feet tall and had cement lining on the floor and partially up the sides.
Welsh coal miners were the contractors for the tunnel portion of the project.”
Photos courtesy of Rich Williams and Haynes family.
Click on images to enlarge.