This photo was labeled Alder sheep ranch. Sheep back in the early 1900s could supply a number of things to a family. From these sheep the household could have obtained:
• Food. Lamb comes from a sheep under a year and mutton comes from one over.
• Wool. From wool they could have made everything from clothes to carpets.
• Lanolin. Wool contains lanolin/grease, used to soften leather among other things.
• Skins. These were and are still sued to make leather.
• Dairy. Sheep milk is often used for making cheese.
• Vegetation Management. Their grazing is used to help keep down unwanted vegetation.
Photo courtesy of Pat Van Eaton.
Click on image to enlarge.