These two pictures were taken in the 1950s.
The first is of the Eatonville Lumber company. It closed February 1954. On December 2, 1953, the following statement was published:
“Announcement was made today by G.E. Karlin, representing ownership of the Eatonville Lumber Company, that the concern had been sold by the present owners to a new corporation known as Eatonville Lumber Company, Inc., the president of, which is D. (Doug) A. Gonyea,”
In a personal interview Mr. Karlin stated: “It had been generally known for a long time that the moment would inevitably arrive when the timber owned by and available to the Eatonville mill would be exhausted and the plant would of necessity shut down. We have for several years past operated as best we could with a constantly diminishing supply of timber and have augmented that supply through every possible available source.
In other words, we have simply run the string out, operating as long as we could carry on, and the time has now arrived when we feel this is no longer possible. We have therefore effected the sale reported above and Mr. Gonyea and his new company will carry on from here.
The second picture was taken, looking down Center Street.