You don’t hear a lot about the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, but they still exist today. On their website they define and Odd Fellowship as:
- The strongest fraternal society on the continent.
- A great world-wide united brotherhood.
- A fraternity founded on the basis of universal brotherhood.
- Based on the Fatherhood of God and the brotherhood of man.
- Founded on the North American continent in 1819.
- Based upon the purest principles of equality,
- Non-political and non-sectarian.
- A source of comfort in times of trouble and adversity.
- A world-wide force that stands for all that is noblest and highest.
- An everyday guide for conduct, a mantle that should be worn always.
- An organization that favors no person for their wealth and frowns on none for their poverty.
- An ideal that exists in the heart and mind of every genuine Odd Fellow or Rebekah.
- Fulfilling a mission in the world which no other institution has successfully attempted.
- A vitalizing, sympathetic, and actuating influence in the lives of all its real members.
- A ministering spirit succoring the needy, cheering the despondent and protecting the helpless.
- The handmaid of virtue and religion.
- Founded on the inspired word of God as revealed to man in the Holy Bible.
Photo courtesy of Pat Van Eaton.
Click on image to enlarge.