The hydroelectric dam at La Grande was built twice. The first, and smaller dam, in 1912. It was the first independent project by Tacoma Power.
The LaGrande Powerhouse was upgraded in 1945 with the addition of a higher dam to impound more water.
Here are a couple photos of the construction around 1912.
Photos courtesy of Pat Van Eaton.
Click on images to enlarge.